Friday, January 22, 2010

First week of work


After a long 4 and a half months of language school I (John) finally started my full time work with FH this past week. Going into Monday there was a bit of nervousness due to the language barrier and unknown expectations, but overall an excitement to get started. The staff at the FH office in Sucre was very welcoming and accepting and the first few days were filled with meetings and orientations. For the first few months I will predominately be working in a slum region just outside the city of Sucre called Horno Ckása.The people who live in this area are mostly families who have moved to the city from the countryside to find work and stability. As in most large cities in developing countries the slums represent ¨broken dreams.¨ Many people move to Sucre with the dream of getting an education or finding stable work due to severe conditions or problems in the campo outside the city. However they find rather quickly that the city is overcrowded and work is not available. Many resort to alcohol/drugs and crime. This area in particular is known for violence and there are lots of gangs that make the streets extremely dangerous at night and during special elections and holidays. My work in Horno Ckása will be focused on strengthening the existing Christian churches in the area, and training them in biblical principles of wholistic ministry. Right now, there are four pastors that live and work in the area and partner with FH to reach the community. My focus will be to work with these pastors (Pancho, Miguel, Félix and Elvis) on issues they face within their churches as well as challenge them to a deeper level of faith and grounding in the Bible. After a period of adjustment I will also visit several work zones outside of Sucre to begin creating relationships and integrating training on Biblical worldview. Overall, I am very excited about the opportunities that have been placed in front of me.After spending a few days in Horno Ckása I can see the incredible need for healing, reconciliation and hope in this area. May the Lord continue to open my eyes to the brokenness that He sees, and direct my ways according to His agenda. I look forward to sharing with you stories and updates as the weeks pass. It was a good first week and I look forward to many more!

Pictures of the area:

View of the city from Horno Ckása


Home of an FH sponsored child.


Streets of Horno Ckása

No comments: