Monday, September 28, 2009

Treasure Found!

Many of you out there know that I (Jennie) have a special place in my heart for a batch of really good brownies. Over the past 2 years I have come to perfect the art of making brownies...out of a box. While the process is much easier than making then from scratch, there is SOME skill involved in this. Most of my trial and error in working with boxed brownies came from the brand of brownies you use and the kind/size of pan you use. After many painstaking attempts and taste testing of various brands of brownies and pan sizes, I have found my favorite.

Coming to Sucre I have had to start all over in my aim to find the perfect boxed brownie. I have discovered, however, that my trial and error will be a much quicker journey. You see, in Sucre, the trial and error is in FINDING a brownie mix. Most of the time the stores have none. And if you are lucky to find a box mix in the store, before the other missionaries in town buy them ALL, you will find only one brand....from Argentina. So far in my quest for brownies I have not been able to get my hands on this Argentinean brand.

But last week, in Sucre's version of a western supermarket, this caught my eye...


Wow! Heavenly music filled the isles as I grabbed the box. It took me all of 2 seconds to decide if the $18 US dollars was worth buying this HUGE box of Betty Crocker, HERSHEY's Ultimate Chocolate Brownie Mix with mini Kisses Brand Chocolates and Hershey's Semi Sweet chocolate chunks. Four brownie mixes are included in this box.

Now the only problem is how to cook this at 9,000 feet! I learned the hard way with a batch of cookies that took over 30 mins to cook...and came out like hockey pucks. So I crossed my fingers and baked my first batch of brownies at 450 degrees for 50 minutes. And....they turned out great! Just like home! Now I just need to keep myself from making the final 3 batches all in one month!

As you can see, I am rejoicing in the little blessings that come our way!





4 comments:

Sherill & Terry said...

I look forward to reading your blog and hearing about some of the practicalities of your life there. What a sight that must have been to see your furniture on top of the vehicle being delivered to your place. And the brownies sounded VERY good! Praying for you. Sherill Port, Yankton

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennie, Can't wait to have Meredith check out this post. She will totally relate and appreciate just how valuable a good box of brownies is! Enjoy them!
Love from the Messers

Erin hughes said...

Rejoicing with you on the find!! great deal bwana! This reminds me a bit of how we felt with boxed cereal in kenya...$8 for cereal was so worth it on very rare occasion :) Happy eating to you friend!!

Matt and Francesca Jensen said...

I can definitely attest that you have mastered the art of brownie making...and I really miss our weekly indulgences! I should have taken lessons from you while you were still here!