Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend of Hunger

It was a busy weekend for the Warden family. On Saturday we had the opportunity to be apart of the grand opening of Kids Against Hunger here in Cincinnati. We packaged food all morning that will go to feed hungry children around the world. There was a feeling of excitement and joy in the warehouse that morning as we all worked together. It was a great event!

Sunday we were able to share with the congregation of Hope Church, our home church and where John works, our plans for serving in Bolivia. It was a wonderful morning! We can't express how much it means when someone approaches us to say how excited they are for us and that they will be praying. It was a very encouraging morning.

Back to hunger.....

So last night I could not get to sleep. It was such a busy weekend my mind would just not stop racing. As I glanced at the clock that read 1:38 am I realized that my stomach was hurting. I felt like I was starving! Then it dawned on me that with the business of the day, getting Ella fed and put to bed, and then starting back in on getting the house ready to sell, I had forgotten to eat supper! As I lay there I began to wonder if I would be able to fall asleep without going downstairs and getting something to eat. I was really hungry! It then hit me like a ton of bricks....there are millions of people that go to bed hungry every night. Their stomachs are aching more than mine was yet they don't have the option of running to the fridge to get something to eat. They will probably wake up in the morning with the same dull pain. I tried to remember the last time I even felt hungry and I could not think of one. We are so blessed that eating is more of an event for our own pleasure than a necessity.

While these are hard thoughts to entertain, I'm glad that the Lord laid these thoughts on my mind last night. So often we don't want to even think of such things and we often use the excuse that I am just one person, what can I really do to help the millions of starving people and children around the world? Deep down I know that thought is a lie and I have been convicted that I need to do more! There are so many opportunities out there for all of us. Donate food to a shelter or local food pantry! Donate money to organizations that help in this cause! Do Something! Be Encouraged!

1 comment:

Bringing Love to Life said...

Hey Jennie,
I am encouraged.What a great issue to go to bed thinking on tonight. We are so blessed here in Rome where we have just finished not only dinner but dessert too!
I'm so glad to hear that your time at the church went well. I pray for patience and endurance for you all as you wait for Gods perfect time to enter Bolivia. (Raising support really is a wonderful thing!- God does sooo many miracles right in front of you! -very exciting!)